Tumwater, WA homeowners always need to keep an eye of their plumbing, particularly in the bathroom. We use out bathrooms more than any other part of the house, and with the toilet, sink and show located there in nearly every home, that can be ground zero for clogs in your pipes. The good news is that a trained plumber can take care of it for you, though you should always call one rather than trying to take care of a clog yourself in any but the most benign circumstances. By understanding what causes clogs in your bathroom, you can prevent them from forming in the first place, and save yourself a lot of trouble. Here’s a quick list:
- Hair. Hair is incredibly strong, and while individual hairs aren’t a problem, clumps of it can back up any drain. In particular, watch out for hair mixing with other components such as soap scum or toothpaste.
- Soap and Shampoo. Cleaning products and beauty products usually have the benefit of being water soluble, which means they can be broken up more easily. When mixed with hair or other materials, however, they can be very tough to dislodge.
- Toothpaste. Toothpaste can be tougher than cement when it hardens, and while it too is water soluble, it can often prove very tough to get rid of. Watch how much toothpaste you use during every brush and pay special attention to curves or twists in your pipe, where spent toothpaste can lodge.
- Feminine Hygiene Products. Many people will mistakenly flush these down the toilet. Unfortunately, they can get lodged in your pipes very easily, as can dental floss, Q-tips and similar product. Always dispose of them in your trash, not the toilet.
- Toys. We assume you know better than to throw a toy or the like down the toilet, but enterprising children often do so was part of their playing. Remind them never to use the toilet in that fashion.
The pros at Brooks Plumbing can help you with any bathroom clogs you may have.